Social Mobility Business Compact
As part of the Coalition Government’s Social Mobility Strategy, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg launched a business compact, asking businesses to help to ensure that everyone has a fair opportunity to fulfil their potential, regardless of the circumstances of their birth.
The Bar Council signed up to the compact, which calls on businesses to:
1. Support communities and local schools:
- Participate in mentoring schemes for young people, allow staff time off and reward them for getting involved and enable schools and businesses to work together, and
- Encourage staff at least once a year to talk about their careers as part of a programme to raise aspiration and build knowledge about the world of work.
2. Improve skills and create jobs by providing opportunities for all young people to get a foot on the ladder:
- Advertise work experience opportunities in local schools rather than filling them through informal networks, and
- Offer internships openly and transparently and provide financial support to ensure fair access.
3. Improve quality of life and wellbeing by recruiting openly and fairly, ensuring non-discrimination:
- Including increased use of name-blank and school-blank applications where appropriate.
Click here to read more about the compact on the Deputy Prime Minister's website.