Terms and Conditions
Your use of the web site of the General Council of the
Bar® is governed by these Terms and Conditions and subject to the
Notice of Copyright.
Conditions of Use
1. The contents of these pages are provided as an information
guide only, and do not constitute legal advice. Members of the
public who have a legal problem should consult a suitably qualified
2. These pages are up-dated from time to time, but may not
always be up-to-date in every respect. No responsibility is
accepted for loss arising from inaccurate or incomplete
information, however caused.
3. No mention of any organisation, company or individual on
these pages or on any pages to which there are links on these pages
implies any approval or warranty as to the standing and capability
of any such organisations, companies or individuals by The General
Council of the Bar®.
4. The General Council of the Bar® does not accept any liability
in connection with any third party web sites that can be accessed
through this web site and does not endorse or approve the contents
of any such site.
5. The user agrees that material downloaded or otherwise
accessed through the use of this web site is obtained entirely at
the user's own risk and that the user will be entirely responsible
for any resulting damage to software or computer systems and/or any
resulting loss of data, however caused.
6. Use of the Discussion Group pages is subject to the following
(1) All information or other material posted at the Discussion
Group is the sole responsibility of the person posting it.
(2) The General Council of the Bar® does not approve or take any
responsibility for material provided by users which remains on this
web site. It is not possible for The General Council of the Bar® to
know whether a posting infringes copyright or any other right.
(3) Users may not post any inappropriate material, including
(without limitation) material which is:
a) defamatory or libellous or would infringe the rights of
b) protected by copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or
other proprietary rights or rights of publicity or privacy, unless
the user has the permission of the owner of such rights;
c) promotes illegal activity or violates any applicable local,
national, international or foreign law, statute, ordinance or
regulation including (without limitation) laws and regulations
governing export control, or would give rise to criminal or civil
liability of any sort whatsoever;
d) is threatening or abusive or promotes physical harm or
violence against any individual or group;
e) promotes bigotry, racism or hatred;
f) is pornographic, obscene or offensive;
g) contains any viruses, trojans, worms or other
computer-programming routines that are intended to damage,
interfere with, intercept or extract any system, data or personal
(4) Users may not use offensive or deliberately misleading user
(5) Inappropriate material may be deleted without notice, at the
discretion of The General Council of the Bar®. Exercise of this
right does not mean that The General Council of the Bar® approves
or takes any responsibility for any material provided by users
which is posted at the Discussion Group.
7. In relation to any dispute arising out of use of this web
site the user and The General Council of the Bar® agree to submit
to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
The omission of The General Council of the Bar® to exercise any
right under these Terms and Conditions shall not constitute a
waiver of such right unless formally waived in writing by The
General Council of the Bar®.
8. The General Council of the Bar® and BARMARK® are registered
Notice of Copyright
1. The General Council of the Bar® retains copyright, where
held, in all of its material placed on this web site.
2. The material on this web site may be copied for private use
or use within an organisation provided that (a) the web site of The
General Council of the Bar® is acknowledged as the source including
the referencewww.barcouncil.org.uk, (b)
the material is not amended in any way, and (c) this permission is
revocable at any time by The General Council of the Bar®.
3. Permanent storage or copying of the whole or part of this web
site or the information contained therein or reproduction or
incorporation of any part of it in any work or publication whether
paper or electronic is expressly prohibited.
4. Application for other use of copyright material should be
made to The General Council of the Bar®.
1. The names and postings of users of the Discussion Group will
be visible to other users of the web site.
visitors and to facilitate their use of the web site.
3. Users may choose to provide their names and email addresses
in order to make use of advanced functionality, such as automatic
sending of notification by email when pages are up-dated.
4. The General Council of the Bar® logs information relating to
site usage. The information gathered is for internal use to allow
us to refine and improve our site.
5. The General Council of the Bar® complies with the provisions
of the Data Protection Act. The General Council of the Bar® will
not use or pass on personal information relating to users for
Council of the Bar® web site athttp://www.barcouncil.org.uk and www.barstandardsboard.org.uk.
Links to other sites from within this web site are not covered by
The General Council of the Bar®
289-293 High Holborn
London WC1V 7HZ
Tel: 020 7242 0082