About the course
A practical and interactive workshop focusing on a review of the law and its application in day-to-day practice. The three-hour session will include short presentations, practical case study examples, small group discussions and sharing of feedback.
What the session covers:
- Practical application of the Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Regulations 2017 to both contentious and non-contentious areas of work
- Good practice procedures and understanding the basic steps - "Know Your Client"
- When and how to apply Client Due Diligence (CDD) to your client
- When the need for risk assessment and the levels of risk investigation are required for individual practices and for your clients
- Practical steps when facing red flags and the need for continual assessment
- Knowing when to report suspicions (Suspicious Activity Reports) and to whom (National Crime Agency)
- Tipping Off - the statutory prohibition and possible risks
- Responsibilities of chambers and record keeping
How you will benefit from the training
- Increased confidence in understanding and applying the law in relation to financial crime, and the effect it has on your practice in terms of practical risk procedures
- Increased confidence in compliance with ongoing legal responsibilities
- Increased awareness to risks
The Bar Council training and events booking system has moved to MyBar, the dedicated logged-in website for the profession, where you can register for your chosen training course or event simply and securely using your existing profile.
When you click the booking link above, you will be taken to MyBar where you can log in and book your place. If you have any problems logging into MyBar, contact our Services team on 020 7611 1329 or email Services@BarCouncil.org.uk.
Full price: £190 (plus VAT)
Bar Representation Fee member price: £110 (plus VAT)
The Annual Chambers Management package
This training session is available as part of the Bar Council's Annual Chambers Membership package (3 credit hours). Chambers membership gives you access to a range of training and support throughout the year, chosen to suit your needs. Find out more about the package.
We can offer this training in-chambers, including at chambers on the circuits. Please contact our Training and Events team for information on dates and pricing.
Paperless training packs
To minimise environmental impact and the amount of paper you have to carry with you, Bar Council training packs are paperless. As a delegate you will receive the materials you need for the training by email in advance, which you can access on your laptop or tablet or print in advace if required.
Throughout the training, there will be references to various Bar Council guidance or external documents which are included as a hyperlink within the attendee workbook.