The Bar Council is experiencing some technical difficulties at the moment which are affecting our members' access to MyBar and the Direct Access Portal.
All other Bar Council systems are still functioning, including emails, the Bar Council website, Pupillage Gateway, Ethics & Practice Hub, and Wellbeing at the Bar website.
The Authorisation to Practise deadline has now been extended for a second month, to 30 June 2022, so all those who currently have practising certificates can continue to practise without the need to contact The General Council of the Bar of England and Wales. In the meantime, those who need a practising certificate because they are starting or returning to practice, can be authorised without a certificate if they email email@example.com. For authorisation to practise without a provisional practising certificate please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The expiration date for the Professional Users Courts and Tribunals Access Scheme has also been extended until 31 May 2022 and we will begin this year’s renewal process as soon as we are able to do so.
We apologise if you have had difficulty contacting us during this time. Read our joint statement.
- 28 February - 4 March 2022 (In-person, London)
- 9 – 13 May 2022 (In-person, London)
- 23 – 27 May 2022 (online)
- 4 – 8 July 2022 (In-person, London)
- 5 – 9 September 2022 (In-person, Taunton)
- 12 – 16 September 2022 (In-person, London)
- 3 – 7 October 2022 (In-person, Manchester)
- 17– 21 October 2022 (In-person, London)
- 28 November – 2 December 2022 (In-person, London)
- 5 – 9 December 2022 (online)
About the course
What the session covers
What you will gain from the training
- The ability safely to conduct a civil and commercial mediation
- A full toolkit of mediation skills recognised internationally
- Higher-level negotiation skills, knowledge, and insights
- The opportunity to practice these skills under close coaching
- Full Foundation Training ahead of any later specialisation
- Access to long-term mentoring and ethical guidance and support
- Certification as a Society of Mediators recognised mediator
- Accreditation as a Civil Mediation Council civil and commercial mediator
- Recognition by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Recognition by the Bar Council as having passed its approved course
- Personal feedback and development advice from skilled course tutors
- 40 hours of relevant CPD
Contact us with any questions about the safety measures that have been put in place.
Full price: £1,000 (plus VAT)
Bar Representation Fee member price: £900 (plus VAT)
Assessment and Examination
As this course is the pathway to accreditation and is also recognised by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, every delegate will be assessed and examined. The open-book examination is independently marked. Barristers will also be subject to continual assessment, including a final assessment mediation undertaken by independent experienced assessors who have not taught on that course.
In the event of the required standard not being met, barristers will be invited back for further work and assessment at no additional cost. Generally, at least 90% of barristers pass the course on the first occasion.
Paperless training packs
To minimise environmental impact and the amount of paper you have to carry with you, Bar Council training packs are paperless. As a delegate you will receive the materials you need for the training by email in advance, which you can access on your laptop or tablet or print in advace if required.
Throughout the training, there will be references to various Bar Council guidance or external documents which are included as a hyperlink within the attendee workbook.