About the course
Due to the nature of the information barristers handle daily, when it comes to data protection the Bar is a high-risk profession. With the rising number of cyber-attacks on barristers and chambers adding to the concern surrounding more traditional risks, such as the leaving of papers on a train, the Bar Council has identified GDPR and information security as one of the biggest challenges facing the profession. The consequences for barristers, chambers and the profession of failing at GDPR compliance are enormous.
The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has stated that achieving reputable certification or accreditation can help organisations demonstrate their commitment to compliance with GDPR, and mitigate against possible enforcement action including prosecution and fines. The Bar Council, in partnership with Briefed, is therefore providing you with the opportunity to attend a course where you can achieve an annual certification tailored specifically to both your own needs and the needs of your chambers.
Who should attend?
- have responsibility for the protection of chambers due to their role as Head or as a member of chambers’ Management Committee;
- rely on publicly funded work;
- work with specialised and highly regulated industries;
- want to remain or become competitive within their specialist area;
- wish to ensure robust GDPR compliance to avoid fines;
- wish to protect professional reputation and practice, and;
- want a fast, effective way to meet legislative and BSB-required standards on GDPR.
What you will get from the course
- A better understanding of the daily GDPR risks you face;
- A step-by-step GDPR audit of your practice and risks;
- Practical help on implementing robust, barrister-specific GDPR policies and procedures;
- Information on how to comply with core duties 5, 6, 9 and 10, and rules C15.5, C66 and C89 of the Bar Standards Board Handbook;
- Appropriate barrister GDPR training and a Certificate of Completion
- An annual GDPR certification (subject to your successfully meeting all of the training criteria) which demonstrates your commitment to GDPR best practice.
The Bar Council training and events booking system has moved to MyBar, the dedicated logged-in website for the profession, where you can register for your chosen training course or event simply and securely using your existing profile.
When you click the booking link above, you will be taken to MyBar where you can log in and book your place. If you have any problems logging into MyBar, contact our Services team on 020 7611 1329 or email Services@BarCouncil.org.uk.
Full price: £1,020 plus VAT
Bar Representation Fee member price: £850 plus VAT
The Annual Chambers Management package
This training session is available as part of the Bar Council's Annual Chambers Membership package. Chambers membership gives you access to a range of training and support throughout the year, chosen to suit your needs. Find out more about the package.
We can offer this training in-chambers, including at chambers on the circuits. Please contact our Training and Events team for information on dates and pricing.
Paperless training packs
To minimise environmental impact and the amount of paper you have to carry with you, Bar Council training packs are paperless. As a delegate you will receive the materials you need for the training by email in advance, which you can access on your laptop or tablet or print in advace if required.
Throughout the training, there will be references to various Bar Council guidance or external documents which are included as a hyperlink within the attendee workbook.