About the course
It is becoming increasingly common for chambers to face Subject Access Requests (SARs) from unsuccessful applicants during recruitment processes. Many sets are also beginning to explore the ways in which they should prepare for similar requests being made under their respective grievance procedures.
These high-risk areas can be a minefield for chambers, and particularly for those involved in any processes falling under the 'HR' umbrella. During this training course your will explore a number of issues to help clarify your repsonsibilities, including:
- Applications, interview documentation and equal opportunities monitoring
- Performance reviews and personnel records
- Data retention and chambers' disclosure obligations
Who should attend this session?
- Barristers or chambers professionals who regularly assists with chambers' recruitment processes
- Chambers' management, staffing, pupillage and recruitment committee members
- Chambers professionals responsible for HR and administration, or who act as a line manager to any of their colleagues
- Any member responsible for making decisions in relation to the promotion or appraisal of their set's chambers professionals
- Any individual responsible for compliance with GDPR
Delivered by Orlagh Kelly, Barrister and founder of Briefed, the training session will provide attendees with a better understanding of:
- How to identify high risk areas within chambers' HR and administration processes
- How to manage personal data to ensure compliance
- The process involved where an individual exercises their right to be forgotten, or makes a Subject Access Request
- The key actions that both your chambers and its members need to make to avoid GDPR sanctions
The session will include time for discussion of best practice, and provide you with the opportunity to learn from the experiences of others.
Due to the current coronavirus situation, all Bar Council training sessions delivered in-person have been postponed until further notice.
Contact us if you would like to be updated when new dates can be arranged, or when alternatives such as online sessions are announced.
The Bar Council training and events booking system has moved to MyBar, the dedicated logged-in website for the profession, where you can register for your chosen training course or event simply and securely using your existing profile.
When you click the booking link above, you will be taken to MyBar where you can log in and book your place. If you have any problems logging into MyBar, contact our Services team on 020 7611 1329 or email Services@BarCouncil.org.uk.
Full price: £200 (plus VAT)
Bar Representation Fee member price: £150 (plus VAT)
The Annual Chambers Management package
This training session is available as part of the Bar Council's Annual Chambers Membership package. Chambers membership gives you access to a range of training and support throughout the year, chosen to suit your needs. Find out more about the package.
We can offer this training in-chambers, including at chambers on the circuits. Please contact our Training and Events team for information on dates and pricing.
Paperless training packs
To minimise environmental impact and the amount of paper you have to carry with you, Bar Council training packs are paperless. As a delegate you will receive the materials you need for the training by email in advance, which you can access on your laptop or tablet or print in advace if required.
Throughout the training, there will be references to various Bar Council guidance or external documents which are included as a hyperlink within the attendee workbook.