Alternative course dates are available: 19 October 2020
About the course
Developed by members of the Bar Council’s Equality, Diversity and Social Mobility (EDSM) Committee as a practical aid to barristers and clerks in chambers, this online training aims to build understanding and awareness of equality and diversity through discussion of current scenarios facing chambers, plus a summary of legal and regulatory duties.
Format and group size
- Practical facilitated session requiring group work and full participation
- Delivered online
- Pre-reading provided
- Maximum 20 attendees
What areas does the course cover?
- A detailed summary of the protected characteristics and different forms of discrimination
- Why diversity is vital to the Bar
- Barristers’ responsibilities on equality and diversity
- Practical examples of promoting inclusion and implementing good equality and diversity practice
- Gain greater clarity on the legal and regulatory duties of barristers regarding equality and diversity,
- Define the different forms of discrimination and how they arise,
- Understand equality and diversity issues in practise; and
- Review practical case studies in applying policies within Chambers.
Who should attend?
All barristers, chambers' Equality and Diversity Officers, practice managers and clerks.
It is recommended that this training is repeated every three years.
Full price: £110 (plus VAT)
Bar Representation Fee members: £90 (plus VAT)
All Bar Council online training is held on the Zoom videoconferencing platform. Please ensure you read our Zoom statement before booking.
The Annual Chambers Management package
This training session is available as part of the Bar Council's Annual Chambers Membership package. Chambers membership gives you access to a range of training and support throughout the year, chosen to suit your needs. Find out more about the package.
We can offer this training in-chambers, including at chambers on the circuits. Please contact our Training and Events team for information on dates and pricing.
Paperless training packs
To minimise environmental impact and the amount of paper you have to carry with you, Bar Council training packs are paperless. As a delegate you will receive the materials you need for the training by email in advance, which you can access on your laptop or tablet or print in advace if required.
Throughout the training, there will be references to various Bar Council guidance or external documents which are included as a hyperlink within the attendee workbook.