The justice system in England & Wales is at a tipping point. Once highly regarded as a vital public service, today’s system is widely acknowledged to be suffering from a decade of under-investment.
The upcoming Spending Review is the only real opportunity for longstanding underfunding of the entire justice system to be addressed. In our submission, we urge the Government to adopt 5 recommendations to restore confidence and commitment in our justice system.
Our recommendations to the Treasury
- Properly invest in the justic budget by £2.48bn - an extra 22p per person per day
- Level up to regenerate towns and cities, provide access to early legal advice to support the most vulnerable and help them succeed in life
- Provide a courts and tribunals system fit for the future
- Ensure the sustainability of the legal profession to deliver the administration of justice
- Protect England and Wales' position as a leading global legal centre