The international team, supported by the International Committee, provides a wide variety of services to assist and support members of the Bar in developing, strengthening and maintaining their international practice. These include:
- International legal and professional development grant programme;
- International missions and events;
- Placements and exchange programmes; and
- Publishing briefings and guidance papers.
We also stand up for and speak out against rule of law crises around the world, through statements and intervention letters.
How chambers and SBAs can get involved in the Bar Council’s international work
There are various opportunities for specialist bar associations (SBAs) and chambers to become involved in international activities. Some examples of such opportunities include:
- Sponsoring seminars and receptions for incoming delegations of overseas lawyers;
- Advertising in international marketing publications;
- Sponsoring the International Legal and Professional Development Grants Programme (for SBAs and circuits only);
- Hosting overseas lawyers in chambers as part of one of our exchange schemes. For example, the Bar Council Training Scheme for Chinese lawyers, or the Latin American Exchange Programme.
For all enquiries related to international relations and international practice issues, and for information on how you can get involved, please contact a member of the International Policy team.
The team is supported by our International Committee which consists of up to 30 members that have significant knowledge of overseas jurisdictions and that represent many practice areas. If you are interested in serving on this Committee, please email the Head of International Policy.
Subscribe to the Bar Council’s international newsletter.