About the course
The 1.5-day Public Access for Barristers course gives you:
- The opportunity to extend the terms of your practising certificate and widen your potential income streams
- An in-depth review of the BSB regulatory framework and discusses strategies to manage the risks arising from this area of work
Focus is also placed on the necessary skills required to ensure excellence in client care, case management and self-management.
All participants are encouraged to examine their business model and to reflect upon the importance of having a commercial mindset and how PA work might add value to their practice.
All of the requirements to become a PA practitioner are met within the 1.5 days of training. When registration with Bar Records has been confirmed, you can undertake PA work immediately.
Public Access is covered by Rules C119 - C131 of the Code of Conduct in the BSB Handbook.
What areas does the course cover?
- What PA is, and where it fits into the current regulatory and commercial environment
- Reviewing the application of the BSB Handbook rules and how they should be applied risk sensitively
- Understanding what additional resources, systems and processes will be needed to effectively support your PA practice and your PA clients
- Understanding the risks inherent within a PA matter/case and how to manage and mitigate those risks
- Developing an empathetic relationship with a PA client to deliver their objectives and manage their expectations
- Developing a clear personal PA business plan and model to maximise opportunities and ensure profitability
- Full price: £540 (plus VAT)
- Bar Representation Fee member price: £450 (plus VAT)
Before you book
All Bar Council online training is held on the Zoom videoconferencing platform. Please ensure you read our Zoom statement before booking.
- The Public Access course is a trainer-led course requiring individual participation and group work throughout, and takes place over 1.5 days
- Day 1 runs from 09:00-17:30; day 2 runs from 09:00-13:45.
- Pre-course work and joining instructions are circulated one week before the course start date to confirmed delegates.
- Pre-course work is expected to take no more than three hours. To successfully complete the course, you must attend in full.
The Annual Chambers Management package
This training session is available as part of the Bar Council's Annual Chambers Membership package. Chambers membership gives you access to a range of training and support throughout the year, chosen to suit your needs. Find out more about the package.
We can offer this training in-chambers, including at chambers on the circuits. Please contact our Training and Events team for information on dates and pricing.
Paperless training packs
To minimise environmental impact and the amount of paper you have to carry with you, Bar Council training packs are paperless. As a delegate you will receive the materials you need for the training by email in advance, which you can access on your laptop or tablet or print in advace if required.
Throughout the training, there will be references to various Bar Council guidance or external documents which are included as a hyperlink within the attendee workbook.