Women in Law Pledge
Alongside The Law Society and the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx), we are pleased to support the Women in Law Pledge. We have created the pledge to help tackle the issue of gender equality within the legal profession.
We encourage all legal service providers to sign up. We hope that pledging your commitment to change, and doing so with transparency, will be a vital stepping stone in achieving impactful progress for equality for all.
By signing up for the pledge you or your chambers/organisation is committing to:
- Supporting the progression of women into senior roles in the profession by focusing on retention and practice development opportunities;
- Setting clear plans and targets around gender equality and diversity for your chambers/organisation; and
- Tracking progress towards achieving your goals.
- Upon receipt of your application, the Bar Council will confirm you as a Pledge signatory within seven days. We will then list your name on our website. We will also send you a media pack with logos/banners etc. that you can use as you wish.
- Set yourself 'targets' related to any planned activity and then let Bar Council know any targets you wish to set,
- Email Equality@BarCouncil.org.uk with details of your planned activity and any targets (we will keep them on record and check to see how you have got on 12 months later**); and
- Let us know how you are getting on and confirm you want to remain signed up to the Pledge/decide on any new activity and/or set yourself new targets.
* You can ask to be removed from the pledge at any time by emailing Equality@BarCouncil.org.uk.
** If we don't hear from you 12 months on, we will remove your name from the list of pledge signatories.
Note: Only Bar Council will hold records of your activity commitments and targets. They will not be shared with any third parties.