About the course
This online interactive training session will give you an understanding of good practice in mentoring and help you to develop and improve your mentoring skills.
Format and group size
- Practical facilitated session with group work and full participation
- Delivered online
- Maximum 20 attendees
What does the course cover?
- An understanding of what mentoring is, and why it is important to the Bar
- Reflection on key skills and behaviours required in a mentor, and guidance on how to develop your active listening skills
- Good practice in mentoring (and mentoring scheme design), including contracting, setting objectives and review
- Identifying challenges that may arise in any mentoring relationship
- Gain confidence in your mentoring skills
- Improve your mentoring skills through practical application and role play
- Participate in facilitated discussions on mentoring challenges and how to resolve them
- Gain tips on setting up a mentoring scheme in your chambers
Who should attend?
All barristers, clerks and other chambers’ staff.
Full price: £110 (plus VAT)
Bar Representation Fee member price: £90 (plus VAT)
All Bar Council online training is held on the Zoom videoconferencing platform. Please ensure you read our Zoom statement before booking.
The Bar Council training and events booking system has moved to MyBar, the dedicated logged-in website for the profession, where you can register for your chosen training course or event simply and securely using your existing profile.When you click the booking link above, you will be taken to MyBar where you can log in and book your place. If you have any problems logging into MyBar, contact our Services team on 020 7611 1329 or email Services@BarCouncil.org.uk.
The Annual Chambers Management package
This training session is available as part of the Bar Council's Annual Chambers Membership package. Chambers membership gives you access to a range of training and support throughout the year, chosen to suit your needs. Find out more about the package.
We can offer this training in-chambers, including at chambers on the circuits. Please contact our Training and Events team for information on dates and pricing.
Paperless training packs
To minimise environmental impact and the amount of paper you have to carry with you, Bar Council training packs are paperless. As a delegate you will receive the materials you need for the training by email in advance, which you can access on your laptop or tablet or print in advace if required.
Throughout the training, there will be references to various Bar Council guidance or external documents which are included as a hyperlink within the attendee workbook.