Advertisements and application timetables
Under the Bar Qualification Manual, all AETOs are required to advertise any vacancies for pupillage on the Pupillage Gateway. As such, aspiring barristers can access the site throughout the year in order to browse live vacancies.
In addition to using the Pupillage Gateway to advertise, AETOs can use the portal to manage the recruitment of pupil barristers. Beginning 1 November 2020, all chambers must recruit in accordance with a pre-determined timetable, which runs from November to May annually.
User information for AETOs
Managed by the Bar Council and provided by Jobsgopublic, the gateway is a flexible and cost-effective way to advertise pupillages and manage applications, allowing AETOs to save an estimated £3,000 per annum in administration costs.
The gateway’s bespoke design collates all applications into one centralised system, ensuring that AETOs can track the progress of each candidate and are provided with suitable assistance at every stage of the process. The only recruitment portal designed by the Bar for the Bar, the gateway’s key features include:
- the opportunity to add up to seven original questions, with appropriate word count adjustments;
- the ability to anonymise candidates’ personal details, educational institutions and referees when processing applications;
- an automatically-generated candidate chronology, allowing chambers to practice contextual recruitment when shortlisting applications;
- an interview management module to assist Gateway administrators with timetabling and panel coordination;
- editable email templates to communicate updates to candidates at each stage of the process.
- the capability to view aggregated equal opportunities data, ensuring compliance with cR110 of the Bar Standards Board Handbook; and
- a system and software that are completely compliant with the GDPR.
Find out more
If you have a general enquiry about how the gateway works, would like a free demonstration of the portal’s functionalities, or would like to place an advertisement for pupil barristers, please email the Bar Council Services team on PupillageGateway@BarCouncil.org.uk or call +44 (0)207 611 1321.