The Bar Council’s remuneration work involves:
- Leading on remuneration and taxation matters for the Bar;
- Leading on relevant consultation responses;
- Attending stakeholder meetings and proactively lobbying decision-making bodies;
- Monitoring and being actively involved in changes to the legal aid schemes as well as the private funding regimes; and
- Providing advice to the Bar in remuneration matters, including legal aid, private funding, and barrister’s taxation and pensions.
Criminal Legal Aid
We are currently working with the Criminal Bar Association, Young Bar Committee, Circuit Leaders on the Criminal Legal Aid Review in the Ministry of Justice discussions.
CPS Graduated Fee Scheme
Stage One went live on 1 September 2019. The changes in summary were:
- Fixed fees increased to the level of the AGFS,
- Refreshers paid from the second day of trial,
- Refresher fees not reduced in long running trials beyond 40 days,
- Trial fees from the first day the trial is listed, with an updated definition, and;
- Earlier payment after a trial, when sentence is adjourned for 4 weeks.
In November 2019 a further tranche of CPS fee increases was announced, to come into effect from 1 February 2020. The details are published on the CPS website.
Family Very High Cost Cases
Instruction of Counsel in the Magistrates’ Court